Monday, June 2, 2014

Hometown Sensation Ryme Minister to Rock Reggae Sumfest



Dancehall fans from Montego Bay are expected to assemble in their numbers at Catherine Hall to cheer on hometown ‘hero’ Ryme Minister as he makes his first appearance on Dancehall Night on Thursday July, 17 during Reggae Sumfest.

Ryme Minister’s performance will mark a significant milestone in the deejay’s budding career. Born, Fabian Sawyers, he was raised in the volatile community of Glendevon in Montego Bay. After leaving the Knockalva High School, Ryme Minister originally focused on a career as a dancer with the Pink Eye Crew. However, in a twist of fate following the gruesome killing of his family the young man, then known as Bugs Crime, decided to express himself through music.

“Yes I lost everything, three brothers and my mother to crime and violence but I was not going to let that define me. For a while I had nothing or no one to turn to, then I turned to music and it became my strength. Today I can look back and say I am proud to have made a positive from such harsh realities,” said Ryme Minister about the impact it had on him.   

The inspired deejay has since cemented his place as an underground celebrity in Western Jamaica and his prevalence is fast rising. His music holds strong messages that can be heard in songs like Push Forward and Searching and shows versatility in others such as Shub Out, One Umbrella and his hit single Shellaz and Shellaz. Ryme Minister’s growing popularity and fan base has led to this, his maiden performance on Reggae Sumfest and the artiste is dumbstruck at the opportunity.

“Honestly I am still at a loss for words. Nothing can describe the feeling of being on a show that is internationally renowned, at this stage of my career. The support from the people here in Montego Bay is phenomenal everywhere I go and it feels like everyday will be my birthday until the night I perform,” he said jokingly.

All jokes aside, the fast rising deejay has been getting heavy rotation on local radio stations and with a gradually increasing appeal on the international market, his performance on Thursday July 17 at Reggae Sumfest could see the emergence of a true dancehall star.

Reggae Sumfest will be staged from July 13 – 19 with a Beach Party on Sunday at Aquasol Beach, the All White Party on Tuesday at Pier 1 and stage shows from Thursday to Saturday at Catherine Hall. The festival will feature some of the greatest local and international performers. With the announcement of Wiz Khalifa, Tessanne Chin, Freddie McGregor, Busy Signal, Chronixx, Jah Cure, Beenie Man, Sanchez, Bounty Killer, I-Octane, Assassin, Mr. Vegas, Aidonia, Bugle, Nature, Spice, Alkaline and international reggae band Zvuloon Dub System, anticipation is already frenetic for the 22nd staging of the show. Festival sponsors include, Digicel, Iberostar, Secrets, Pepsi, Jamaica Tourist Board, and more.

No comments: