Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sophia’s wave of success


Riding the crest of a wave of success, songstress Sophia Brown is not about to allow this opportunity to go a-begging.

With her song Weak for You at the number one position on at least one chart in Jamaica and her popularity steadily on the rise, SB, as she is popularly called, intends to make every second count.

In addition, she has tours planned for the United States, Africa and Europe.

"Africa is calling, so we are looking forward to that in the New Year," she said.

SB is also starting to lay down tracks for what is expected to be her next album which she expects to be out by 2011, as she wants the current album that still has its legs to sell as much as it can. "Then, we are going to be looking at starting to record for the new album. What I don't want to do is when I am getting ready to tour, I don't want to get stuck in the studio so I am really looking forward to recording a lot of songs and have them put away so that whenever I am ready, I can put another one or two albums together."

She has already hired songwriters, sensing what she wants her next album to be. "I know exactly what I want it to sound like," she said. "I want some eccentric sound in it like Third World and Steel Pulse and those people."

The singer also wants to have some genuine reggae on the album as well as some world music that has wider international appeal. "So I want to keep the reggae but I want to mix it up a little bit," she said.

SB also plans on capitalising on her growing brand by getting into merchandising. "People want the album to buy, they want merchandise," she said. "Right now, we're setting up the website for the merchandising. We're trying a swimsuit line for sure, we're doing T-shirts for the fellas and we're doing cups and all those kinds of things," she said.

But to keep all that going, she is going to have to depend heavily on her talent to provide the impetus. And she knows exactly how she plans to achieve that. "Everyone has to master their craft, so I am going to a voice-training course because I know I need that," she said.

Source: The Jamaica Star

No comments: