Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sophia Brown: A Female Force to be reckoned with!!

Sophia Brown is not only sexy and talented but her female prowess and sex appeal shows that she is a force to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry. With her hits such as Jig Me, Love you pure and her recent hit, I’m a rose Sophia shows that she is on the verge of success. She took the time to talk to us and this is what she shared:

Headline Entertainment (HE): When did you first start singing and what was your inspiration?
Sophia Brown (SB): I first started at an early age with the Jamaica Tourist Board, on the train from Montego Bay to the Appleton Estate. I also sang with community youth clubs in and around St. Elizabeth. Professionally I started in 1993 with a company called Outta National records. My first song entitled Jig Me was distributed locally. My inspiration at an early age was fun. In 1993, I realized that I could actually make a career out of it based off of the feedback from Jig Me.

HE: What’s your most memorable moment in the entertainment industry?
SB: In the year 2000 when I was invited to North Virginia and I was put on a huge show with personalities like Ja Rule, Jay- Z and Lil’ Kim, for an audience of over 75,000 people. I was nerve wracked! Big things were being done although it wasn’t in Jamaica. Also Universal records wanted to sign me in 2003 but that didn’t work out.

HE: What’s the next step for Sophia Brown?
SB: The launch of I’m a rose music video. The video is smashing and it’s definitely for the ladies. I want people to see what the video represents. All in all, I’m just glad that I’m being recognized here in my home country, Jamaica. That’s a big thing for me!

HE: What are some of the challenges you faced during your musical career? How did you overcome them?
SB: In the beginning I wasn’t being taken seriously because of the fact that I was attractive. Producers wanted me for other reasons and I was in it for that. I wanted to prove myself. I overcame this obstacle by forming my own company, Music Mecka Records. I now produce my own music.

HE: Are you currently working on an album? If yes, how has it been?
SB: Yes, I am working on one with a company called Vizion Sound out of South America. So far I’ve gone 8 or 9 tracks. One of the songs on the album is Thinking of You with a South American artiste which is doing really well in terms of sales. Love is Pure is released on I-tunes and Rhapsody has given me 3 month’s advertising and that’s why I think it’s such a hit.

HE: What artiste or artistes have influenced you soulful lifestyle?
SB: Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, John Holt, Patti La Belle, Jimmy Hendricks and people who make good music and melodies.

HE: If music hadn’t worked out for you, what other career path would you have chosen?
SB: A forensic scientist, but the music has sucked me in deeply. I can’t turn back! I have no regrets though, I love it. I love it because it’s a way to show the youth how to develop their minds and I want to help in cleaning up the lyrics and uniting the people.

HE: How would you describe your music?
SB: Roots and Culture/ Lover’s Rock. I love to sing to the men because they seem to be left out. I just want them to become better fathers, lovers and leaders.

HE: What are your greatest strengths?
SB: My kids. Just seeing the smile on their faces or just by having a conversation with them causes me to persevere or even my mother who always tells me to keep the almighty at the forefront of all that I do.

HE: Do you write your own songs? If so what’s the most exciting part of your career, writing or performing?
SB: Yes I do. Performing is more rewarding because of the look that I see on the patron’s face and that gives me joy. I want the people to understand what I’m saying. I don’t necessarily want the ‘railing’ or the ‘hype’. There is a song I have that’s entitled, “When I dance, I dance for you, when I sing, I sing for you… I see happy faces”. The inspiration behind this song comes from people’s reaction when I perform.

If you think that Sophia Brown is only ‘big’ on the local scene then you got another thing coming. She has performed in countries like Israel, Australia, the United States as well as other Caribbean regions. According to her, “people see me as a shy woman because I’m 5’3” but when I go on stage ‘me release a fyah!’ She has done collaborations with the “Money Goddess” herself, Macka Diamond and they have a single entitled A female thing which hasn’t been released yet. It’s a party song however; I’m looking forward to working with Junior Kelly. I have the track but I haven’t finished it yet.

Be sure to look out for Sophia Brown as she is prepared to take the Jamaican airwaves by storm.

Check out her Myspace page here.

No comments: